Follow me on Twitter!

Monday, January 18, 2010

Defying Gravity


Trouble. We all have it, we all have been told we are it, we have all seen it.
But when it happens to us, we freak.
Trouble comes suddenly, and unexpected.
Our normally hectic (yet repetitve) lives are disrupted by chaos.

Typically we call this a "storm", "adversity", or a "trial".
Using the term "storm" I want to draw your attention to a "storm" in another person's life, and was written down in the Bible.

(This text is taken from the NLT)

Matthew 14:24-33
Meanwhile, the disciples were in trouble far away from land, for a strong wind had risen, and they were fighting heavy waves. About three o'clock in the morning Jesus came to them, walking on water. When the disciples saw him, they screamed in terror, thinking he was a ghost. But Jesus spoke to them at once. "It's all right," he said. "I am here! Don't be afraid."
Then Peter called to him, "Lord, if that's really you, tell me to come to you by walking on water."
"All right, come," Jesus said.
So Peter went over the side of the boat and walked on the water toward Jesus. But when he looked around at the high waves, he was terrified and began to sink. "Save me, Lord!" he shouted.
Instantly Jesus reached out his hand and grabbed him."You don't have much faith," Jesus said. "Why did you doubt me?" And when they climbed back into the boat, the wind stopped.
Then the disciples worshiped him. "You really are the Son of God!" they exclaimed.


I've heard this story told a bajillion and one times. But something odd struck me this time around.
When Peter walked on water and began to sink, the Lord could have stopped the storm right then, but no. Read again. The Lord didn't stop the storm until they were back in the boat.
Notice also, that He waited until Peter called out to Him. And as soon as Peter did, Jesus instantly reached out his hand and grabbed him. But even THEN our Lord didn't stop the storm. He waited until he got back to the boat.

I think sometimes, God allows storms in our lives to teach us we are fully and completely dependent upon his power. And to get us to "call out". And sometimes, even when we do 'call out', he doesn't stop the storm untill we 'get back to the boat'. The Lord has reasons we do not understand, nor do we have to. We need to learn to 'call out' when our gaze slips from him, to the crashing waves.

But then, also not to get disapointed when our call is only answered by the Savior grasping our hand, rather than stoping the storm.

Be patient during the storm, the Lord uses them for all sorts of differences. Learn to look up towards the Saviour when sinking.
Listen to his voice, and watch for miricales.
(I dare you to Sink Up.)

4 comments:

  1. I needed that today, girl!! Love ya <3

    ReplyDelete
  2. Outstanding post. I hope you learn this lesson long before I have. My (almost) 50 years have not fully taught me this lesson. Each storm that comes along is another opportunity and I seemingly have to relearn it all again.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Thank you for your insight. I like your last paragraph. Amazing.

    ReplyDelete

So, what'd you think?