Follow me on Twitter!

Monday, January 31, 2011

Romans 8

(Pre-warning. This is very personal. I wrote it in response to a question I had been posed due to a Bible-Study I am participating in. The Question was "Have you seen Romans 8 in your own life?")

Well January, you've been pretty cruel. To everyone. The only way I can describe you is -- entropy.

It started off watching my grandfather slowly deteriorate from "severe gout" and destroyed bone marrow from the chemo he received last (2? ) year for his prostate cancer. He has been reduced to a wheel chair, "progress" is considered him walking to the TV and back. My grandma and him aren't even sleeping in the same bed anymore. My grandmother's OCD and anxiety have only heightened because of what's occurred. I heard my grandfather say "I love you" to my father, for the first time in my ENTIRE life, and I had the privilege of watching my father break down in tears.

My former best friend (still a friend in my mind :P) hates me so much I think he mightta moved to another church. Or at least found a way to conveniently NOT be there when I am. Which I guess is okay, nobody likes to be in a room with someone who loathes them (And won't even tell you why and if they were a friend, should forgive the other person for whatever it was they did to be loathed. Really, what's on the unforgivable list???)

My pinano playing friend passed out and spent the day in the ER. The longest she's stayed awake is some 6 hours.

My beach buddy has had surgery on her knee (due to a loose patella) had surgery due to cysts in her stomach, been informed she's diabetic and THEN that her immune system's shot. (i.e. she may die.) On top of that, she just found out she may have to put her dog down.

My mom almost died.
Your blood sugar is supposed to stay around 90-100. Any lower = bad. Zero = dead.
She took the wrong insulin.
By the time we gave her three glucose tablets (which is a LOT) her blood sugar was only up to 42. I don't want to know how low it got. Talk about scary. I still can't believe she's alive. I hope I NEVER have to see that again.

Despite all this, some good things have happened. I have learned that we don't have long; death is sitting at our door. We need to love lots, and always forgive. Someone else maybe hurting, that may be the cause of their stupidity. More than that-we're not gaurenteed tomorrow, why waste it complaining and pointing out people's flaws?
My grandpa's beginning to see that 1 Corinthians 13:3-8 is key. In a way, as sad as his situation is-- it's proving Romans 8. It's conforming him to the image of Christ. I'm really hoping he doesn't miss the lesson.

If I give all I possess to the poor and give over my body to hardship that I may boast,but do not have love, I gain nothing.

Love is patient, love is kind. It does not envy, it does not boast, it is not proud. It does not dishonor others, it is not self-seeking, it is not easily angered, it keeps no record of wrongs. Love does not delight in evil but rejoices with the truth. It always protects, always trusts, always hopes, always perseveres.

Love never fails. But where there are prophecies, they will cease; where there are tongues, they will be stilled; where there is knowledge, it will pass away. (NIV)

With the weird situation, I have learned that other peoples opinions are not essential, I have learned a great deal of patience, exercised my "hope" muscle and learned how to forgive. The situation is not solved. I can't fix it. But I do know through a rough, dirty, problem Christ has prevailed. My faith has grown stronger and my worth secured in Christ's loving arms.

Between my two other friends, I cannot speak for them. I don't know WHY God's allowing that to happen, but I know he has a good reason. I know it's teaching me to trust, and show God's love through rough times.

Again, my mom almost dying was a reality check. Who is guaranteed tomorrow? With that love being absent, what would happen to my faith? It would SO take a hit. I'm not afraid to say that. My faith isn't in my mom though... It's in Christ, and how he saved me from my mortal body soaked with sin, and is leading me by the hand through the valley of death into glorious light where I will live with him forever. No more tears, pain, or death.

So yes, I have seen Romans 8 in action. All creation groans. We are dying. We hold on to hope because all things work together for the good of those who love Him. We're being conformed to the image of his Son. We're a bunch of messed up people. But God doesn't leave us there. What a beautiful thing to see the gospel daily.



No comments:

Post a Comment

So, what'd you think?