Follow me on Twitter!

Wednesday, October 19, 2011

Dark Horses

I decided to post about this song first because, well technically I was talking about it with a friend of mine, and promised I would put it on my blog.
The other reason is because I actually really love this song with a passion. The chorus didn't make sense to me... well till a few minutes ago.


I made my mistakes
I seen my heart cave in
I got my scars
I been to hell and back again

Born for the blue skies
We’ll survive the rain
Born for the sunrise
We’ll survive the pain

We’re singing…
Hey, you can’t count us out
We’ve been running up against the crowd
Yeah, we are the dark horses
We’re singing…
Wait! It’s not over now
We’ve been down but we’ve never been out
Yeah, we are the dark horses

We found the way out
The city takes everything it can
But outside the crowds
I can feel my lungs again

Born for the blue skies
We’ll survive the rain
Born for the sunrise
We’ll survive the pain

We’re singing…
Hey, you can’t count us out
We’ve been running up against the crowd
Yeah, we are the dark horses
We’re singing…
Wait, don’t care what they say
We know we’ll find a way
Yeah! We are the dark horses

Keep running with the dark horses

Hope makes the blood change courses
Keep running with the dark horses
Stand up with the dark horses
Keep running with the dark horses
Hope makes the blood change courses
 This was one of the best songs off of this album. I absolutely loved it. However, I couldn't understand what the term "Dark Horses" was supposed to stand for.... I understood the concept of the song, but didn't understand what Jon was trying to say with the specific analogy of "Dark Horses".  So of course, I ask my family.. who a lot of times are smarter than me when it comes to interpreting song meanings. But none of them knew. My brother attempted to help me out by suggesting that it had to do with the black horse in Revelation. However, after reading the passage... that made even less sense.
So what do you do when all else fails?
GOOGLE.
I found this article by pluggedin.com, which explained the term perfectly.

"If you look up the phrase dark horse in Merriam-Webster's online dictionary, here's the first definition you'll find: "A usually little known contender (such as a racehorse) that makes an unexpectedly good showing, or an entrant in a contest that is judged unlikely to succeed." In the spirit of that definition, the lead single from Switchfoot's eighth studio album, Vice Verses, is a straight-up anthem for the underdogs of the world—no more, no less."

This makes absolutely perfect sense. Most people know that Switchfoot started out under a Christian Label (and no, I don't mean they called their music Christian, I mean they were employed by people who did Christian music. But that's another argument for a different time.) and most people know that the Christian faith strongly affects Jon's lyrics. I think this is true for this song.

Many times Christians are shunned, and mocked. They are seen as just another religious cult, they don't get much attention (unless it's to be ridiculed.) In fact, the scriptures talk about how the world will hate Christians. Luke 21:17 says; "And everyone will hate you because you are my followers." (NLT) We are constantly seen as underdogs, but we need to "rise above it" (yet another song on the album)

This however is just one of the reasons that can be 'read into' the song. Jon said on pluggedin.com:
"For me the true underdogs are the people who didn't chose their situation, but are rising above it.For me that song the 'Dark Horses' is all about the homeless kids back in San Diego, specifically the ones who are being helped out by [the nonprofit organization] StandUp For Kids. It's always nice when you have a song you are passionate about singing night after night that has a deeper meaning than simply another verse and another chorus."

The music is beautiful in this song as well. I'm kinda running out of time to blog.. so I have to make this section quick. This song has the grungier feel that Switchfoot is famous for. It kinda has the same feel as "The Sound" but not even that..This song is one of those unexplainables... it's what makes Switchfoot one of my favorite bands. You can't really describe their music with precision. It's unique.
If you can come up with a better explanation. Please do. You can some how write annonymously if you're scared I'll know who you are and will disagree with you or something.
Basically just write on my blog... Even if you totally hate what I'm saying. It's nice to know I at least have readers! :)
I really do need to go now though.
THANKS FOR LISTENING TO MY RANDOM RAMBLINGS.

No comments:

Post a Comment

So, what'd you think?