Follow me on Twitter!

Saturday, October 2, 2010

Where's God?

I open my eyes, close them... there's no difference. The inky blackness is blinding, the stench in the room is haunting. It's bringing back memories that send a chill down my spine, and provoking haunting new ones.
Silence. Agonizing silence screaming so loudly in my ears that they begin to ring. The hissing the silence produces, and the sound of my racing heart mixed with the rushing sound of my ragged breathing fill my head. My spine tingles with anxiety, and then I'm attacked. The beast. I've tried to run from him all my life, but never entirely succeeded. A terror of a thing, his name strikes fear into my heart with the same accuracy of a hot blade. The beast has a name; Loneliness. He slowly wraps his black hands around my heart and squeezes, his claws piercing my heart. With each struggle for breath my hope diminishes, finally with one last attempt to free myself I collapse to my knees. They break as I hit the cold stone, and the sound of their cracks reverberates against the walls of my terror. Pain shoots through my body and throws little sparks behind my eyes. Defeated, my hands fly to my face... Only to find my face streaked with tears. Soaked from sweat in my attempt to flee from the loathsome beast. My voice is all I have left now, and in despair I feel desperate words escape from my mouth, "Where are you God?!?!?!" What started as a horrified whisper, has now grown to a terrifying shriek of anger, "You promised to never leave me!" My fist clenches and I shake it at the sky, "Where are you in my hell???"

Silence.

And then through the darkness, a faint whisper. "Right here." It was the voice I knew so well, gentle and calming. "Where I've always been, and where I'll always be; right by your side."

*Yea, though I walk through the valley of the shadow of death, I will fear no evil: for thou art with me. * (Psalm 23:4a)

6 comments:

  1. WOW!! Some of that wow is your obvious improvement in your writing skills. You have personified loneliness. You have treated it as a living, breathing character. But even more, I think you've captured the emotions Jesus may have felt when His Father did forsake Him on our account, and He cried out, "My God, My God, why have You forsaken me?"

    ReplyDelete
  2. ok that sent shivers down my spine <3

    ReplyDelete
  3. Oh my Lanelle- you are a writer! I could see the darkness. I felt the desperation of loneliness- my heart was squeezed. I could "hear" the Lord's voice as He answered you....as he answers me. Keep it up!

    ReplyDelete
  4. It made me depressed :( but still very good writing and I'm glad it had a happy ending :)

    ReplyDelete
  5. daaaaaaaaang my sister can write.

    ReplyDelete

So, what'd you think?