Follow me on Twitter!

Tuesday, January 3, 2012

The LOVEE Chapter

Psalm 91:14-16 says:
"Because he holds fast to me in love, I will deliver him; I will protect him, because he knows my name. When he calls to me, I will answer him; I will be with him in trouble; I will rescue him and honor him. With long life I will satisfy him and show him my salvation."

This formed an interesting concept in my mind. The concept of loving God. (Yeah, it's an old concept... but hold on.)
So. In my every day Bible reading I'm in 1 Corinthians. This morning I started out reading the Psalm above. Then I flipped to my every day reading. Guess what chapter I was in?
You guessed it, 1 Corinthians 13; the love chapter.
So I read it. I've read it a bunch before, but usually in the concept of what friendship should be. (Or a marriage.. pretty much if you're a Christian you should treat everyone with love)
But THIS time.. I read in such a way that I should respond to God... try it:

"Love is patient and kind; love does not envy or boast; it is not arrogant or rude. It does not insist on its own way; it is not irritable or resentful; it does not rejoice at wrongdoing, but rejoices with the truth. Love bears all things, believes all things, hopes all things, endures all things. Love never ends." (4-8a)
Did you get it? We're supposed to be patient and kind with God...
BAM.
Immediately I felt unworthy of behaving that way towards the Lord. The God of the universe. But see.. keep going...
You're not to insist on your own way with God.
You shouldn't get irritable or resentful with God.
Just like God, you rejoice in the truth that he has, and cry when the world does wrongdoing.
...
We're not worthy of behaving like that way towards God. Not really. Plus, he does no wrong... so it really should be easy to love him. We have the privilege to love God!!!
How cool is that?!

Not only that.. but read the verse again. We're told that God *IS* love. Replace the word "love" with God:

"God is patient and kind; God doesn't envy or boast; he is not arrogant or rude. He does not insist on his own way; he's not irritable or resentful; he doesn't rejoice at wrongdoing, but rejoices with the truth. He bears all things, believes all things, hopes all things, endures all things. God never ends."

Now obviously there are some things there that don't fit word-for-word... like "believes all things" (He is the author of all things, so why would he have to believe in them???) but you get the point.

God is love. We're supposed to love God. We aren't even worthy of loving him. But he loves us.
HOW EPIC IS THAT?!?!

No comments:

Post a Comment

So, what'd you think?