Follow me on Twitter!

Saturday, January 21, 2012

Where is Home?

So lately my family has been discussing the idea of getting an RV. It's only a dream right now, but it's been something my parents have been wanting to do for a while.
It'd get us completely debt-free, and would be a sense of freedom for them---no responsibilities, just travel the country.
As fine and dandy as that is, I really hate the idea.
-hides face in shame-
Now you may ask, "Why do you hate it?"
But even if you're not, I'm going to give you the answer:

I'm selfish.

Yep. That's pretty much it.

I really don't want to move again. Ever since I was tiny, the longest I have ever lived in a house has been about 4 years. We've thankfully lived in the same state for 12, so that's nice. The reason we move around so much is because the taxes are a lot less when my dad builds a new house after a certain amount of time. Don't ask me how it works, I don't know... I haven't filed my taxes yet and don't own a house.

But I'm in college, going away for school is a huge possibility for me. Not right away, but in 3-4 years. I just would like a place to come back to instead of wondering where in the country my family was every spring break.

The other thing is, I want to have one of those homes I can bring my kids to and say, "look at grandma and grandpa's house... this is where mommy used to live!"

Really stupid, I know. But each house has a memory for me, and I'd like my kids to be able to share in that....

Plus, I really love my house. We've only lived here for two years (coming this spring) and I absolutely love it. The house name is actually "The Lanelle" ... and it's yellow (which is my favorite color). So I REALLY love it.
You may think it's weird that a house has my name, but it's something my dad does when he makes a new house. Every single one of us kids has a "plan" with our name on it. The last house we lived in was named, "The Elizabeth", which is my sister's middle name... so it's not all that unusual for us... just something special my dad does that makes us smile. :)

But to be honest, the point of this post wasn't just to complain. ... but then again, you probably already knew that if you read my blog a whole lot.

This idea of an RV got me thinking... and well, there's a lot of talk about homes in the Bible.

There's also this passage that talks about giving up everything and selling it to the poor. The reality is, I really don't actually "own" much. I have a few possessions I saved up money for, but the rest of it's my Father's.
Which, is the same with my heavenly Father. I don't own anything down here, so I really don't have much say in what goes on in my life. Kinda scary, but comforting too. I trust both my heavenly and earthly daddy to do what's right, and instead of having to concern myself with my own future. Granted, my earthly daddy can't create my future, but I think you guys get the concept... right???

So I was thinking so more about this idea, and in pops this verse right?
"Come now, you who say, "Today or tomorrow we will go into such and such a town and spend a year there and trade and make a profit"--yet you do not know what tomorrow will bring. What is your life? For you are a mist that appears for a little time and then vanishes. Instead you ought to say, "If the Lord wills, we will do this or that." As it is, you boast in your arrogance. All such boasting is evil. So whoever knows the right thing to do and fails to do it, for him, it is sin." (James 4:13-17)

I don't know what tomorrow will bring, and I can't scheme and kill to get what I want. Instead, I need to trust God with my future. He's got it all under control anyways.

Besides, my home isn't really *here* it's in heaven. I need to remember that my goal isn't comfort in this life... but honoring Christ:



So. If God wants me to take the gospel all over the country... awesome. Let's go.

"This world is where I leave, let it never be called home."
-Jon Foreman


No comments:

Post a Comment

So, what'd you think?