Follow me on Twitter!

Friday, February 26, 2010

Endurance

So, I just recently learned I'm going to have to go back to Physical Therapy for a condition in my knee. That statement is kinda vague so let me explain.

As a kid I had trouble with my knees, but my mom always thought they were growing pains, when I got to be about 13 my mom took me to the doctors to have them check my knee out, to make sure nothing was really seriously wrong. I was told that I needed to see an orthopedist, so my family physician sent me off with a referral to a doctor close to where I lived. He took a look at my knee, and I explained the pain I was experiencing, I was told I had torn my ACL.

Before receiving an MRI I was sent to get an ACL brace. Thinking that this brace would help, I grew very excited at the thought of not having to experience as much pain as I had previously been in, I was very restless waiting for the custom-made brace to come in. When it did, I was thrilled.
Till six months later.
Six months passed, and in between that time I received many more X-rays, and an MRI.
When the MRI was turned in the doctor told me I would need surgery, he didn't allow us to see the MRI results, or explain them much at all... he just sent in a nurse to say that I would be needing surgery.

My mom did not like that. He needed to explain what was going on, so we headed back to my family physician for a referral to a different orthopedist.
With a second opinion, we found out what was going on.
I hadn't torn my ACL. I had a knee disability where the muscle that is supposed to hold my kneecap into place was not doing it's job, causing the bone that holds the knee on-track to be ground down by the friction of my knee-cap sliding, causing one bone to be higher than the other.
In OTHER words. I just needed a brace and some Physical Therapy to be back up to par.
Occasionally surgery will be an option with this condition IF the PT and brace does not alleviate pain, but I would be worse off because I have extensive scar tissue build-up. So it would only make things worse.

That's what the other doctor hadn't told us.
After six months I remember it being near Christmas time and having one wish; to be out of the stupid ACL brace. And God allowed me to get out of it, and I walked away from that second Dr.'s appointment with Physical Therapy exercises I could do at home.

Well I'm fifteen now, and I constantly forget there are certain things I'm not supposed to do. Pivoting, and running upstairs being some of them.

Wednesday I did a 360 without picking up my foot. Bad girl. Again again again. Went to the family physician for referrals, then to the orthopedist for a referral to Physical Therapy.

To say the least, I'm frustrated.

But I keep reminding myself;
"These have come so that your faith—of greater worth than gold, which perishes even though refined by fire—may be proved genuine and may result in praise, glory and honor when Jesus Christ is revealed. Though you have not seen him, you love him; and even though you do not see him now, you believe in him and are filled with an inexpressible and glorious joy, for you are receiving the goal of your faith, the salvation of your souls."
(1 Peter 1:7-9)
and
"For this very reason, make every effort to add to your faith goodness; and to goodness, knowledge; and to knowledge, self-control; and to self-control, perseverance; and to perseverance, godliness; and to godliness, brotherly kindness; and to brotherly kindness, love. For if you possess these qualities in increasing measure, they will keep you from being ineffective and unproductive in your knowledge of our Lord Jesus Christ."
2 Peter 1:5-8
Keep Sinking Up!!

2 comments:

  1. this reminds me about when my pastor was diagnosed with cancer... he was diagnosed with one kind, but someone told him to get a second opinion. he did and he found out it was a different kind of cancer. if he hadn't gotten the second opinion..... well idk.

    anyway.

    i know how you feel! for a year i was told that i had to do PT and strengthen my thigh to get my knee back in shape. when i finally got a second opinion from a dance therapist, she said i was working the wrong muscle! i had been making my injury worse.

    hang in there, girl. maybe when i come to visit *folds hands in prayer* we can do some pt together :D

    <3 U

    ReplyDelete
  2. oh that's so frustrating!!! Was your pastor alright?
    you made the injury worse? :( That's sad!!!
    hahahaha :) I can't wait!

    ReplyDelete

So, what'd you think?