Follow me on Twitter!

Thursday, February 4, 2010

My Personal Testimony

So for the Choir I'm in at my church, I was asked to write my testimony out.
This is a rough draft but I felt like sharing it, especially since life has been so hectic and I haven't been able to write.
But the good news is that we have about only 3 weeks until we move, which makes me very, very happy.
So anyways, here's my rough draft:
When I was about 4 years old, I asked Jesus to save me. We had just come home from Sunday School, and I knew I needed to be His child. I don't think when I first prayed I fully understood what it meant to be "saved". I had just prayed and felt better about myself.
Well, then my dad took me to go see the "Jesus" movie at our church in New York. The "Jesus" movie went through the whole gospel story of how Jesus was born of a virgin, and grew up among us as a human, fully God, and fully man. When it got to the part about Jesus dying on the cross, I burst out crying. I didn't get it, It seemed that this guy had done nothing wrong, but everyone was angry at him and went out of their way to make sure that he died. Why would they do that? Out of confusion and anxiety I just kept crying. My dad finally took me out of the church and drove me to a little cornfield near our house and sat me down.

He explained to me what it was that Jesus had done,
1. We are fallen people, we cannot do anything right. No matter how hard we try, our 'good deeds' will not get us anywhere.( Romans 6:23 “For the wages of sin is death.”) and
2. God is perfect, and cannot stand sin.
This presents a problem; Because we are fallen we cannot fix the relationship issue with God. We cannot 'make' ourselves do 'good'. We're totally depraved. "The heart is deceitful above all things,
and desperately wicked: who can know it?” also, "There is no one who understands, no one who seeks God" (Rom 3:11)
Now what?? God had to provide a way to solve the dilemma. And he did. The end of the verse I quoted before is; "BUT, the gift of God is eternal life" What is this gift? The gift is the death that I had just seen reenacted on the screen. The gift was this God-man Jesus.

See, in order to get to God, one must be perfect. But God also has to punish the sin that we commit. So God made a way to have both. Because he loves us so much.
He sent his Son; Jesus to die and take the penalty of our sins upon Himself, so that he could look upon us as righteous.

But he was pierced for our transgressions,
he was crushed for our iniquities;
the punishment that brought us peace was upon him,
and by his wounds we are healed.
(Isaiah 53:5)
“ For God so loved the world that he gave his only Son, that whoever believes in him will not perish, but have eternal life” (John 3:16)
But God didn’t leave his Son dead. Three days after being crucified he rose from the dead, so that you and I could spend eternity with God.
1 Cor 5:3b-4 that Christ died for our sins according to the Scriptures, that he was buried, that he was raised on the third day according to the Scriptures

But it is, a gift. And you can't HAVE a gift unless you take it.
Jesus took care of the judgment, it's our job to accept the gift that He provided. Will you take it? Will Jesus Christ be enough for you?

This is what my dad explained to me in that cornfield. I finally got it.
Now I understand that the prayer that I had prayed after Sunday School was telling God that his gift was enough, and that I would take it.
“If you confess with your mouth, “Jesus is Lord,” and believe in your heart that God raised him from the dead, you will be saved. For it is with your heart that you believe and are justified, and it is with your mouth that you confess and are saved. As the Scripture says, “Anyone who trusts in him will never be put to shame.” For there is no difference between Jew and Gentile—the same Lord is Lord of all and richly blesses all who call on him, for, “Everyone who calls on the name of the Lord will be saved.” (Romans 10:9-13)

Make him Lord of your life. It will change everything.

2 comments:

  1. Beautiful, Lanelle. May Jesus Christ be praised!

    ReplyDelete
  2. this is awesome, Lannelle. You're so encouraging. <3

    ReplyDelete

So, what'd you think?